Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues on Mac after creating ISO on Win 10

Hi,

We am currently evaluating using FlyingAnt and Zoom Search in conjunction for a client to generate a static website on a USB stick which they can then provide to their clients. Part of their requirement is that the software must run on both Mac and PC; we are using the free versions for the proof of concept, but would be using the full version of FlyingAnt and the Enterprise version of Zoom for the main project.

I've generated a simple website on my Windows 10 machine and moved it to USB; this seems to work without an issue on the machines I've tried it on (all Windows 10).

I've followed the instructions here: https://www.wrensoft.com/flyingant/support/burning.html to create an ISO; this ISO has then been transferred to a third party for testing on a mac via WeTransfer.

The ISO also works without an issue on Windows 10.

Zoom setup is as shown below:

However, when testing an a Mac the issue shown below occurs when trying to run "Start Mac OSX" in the root folder:

When the user tries to run \Server\OSX\FlyingAntOSX they get the console in the attached screenshot (which looks as if FlyingAnt has actually started? I don't use Macs myself but that does look like a successful start message).

The macbook in question is a Macbookpro late 2013 Retina edition and has an Intel chip.

Is this a known issue or a potential problem with my setup/configuration?

Many thanks.

We haven't seen this error message, "can't get class cfol" error before. Doing some searching on the internet seems to indicate the problem is with Finder and incorrect path names.
    Is there any change you could try the same test with a USB drive.
    We'll also do a test here tomorrow.

Comment

The problem is due to a new OSX Sierra "feature" called "App Translocation". More information here:
      https://eclecticlight.co/2016/06/16/...-and-updaters/

The gist of it is that when you run anything from a mounted ISO image (in our case "Start Mac OSX"), OSX will automatically copy the program/script to a randomised and hidden location on your HD. This is seen in the error message as "Macintosh HD/private/var/folders/vy/ctnd9m413..." and so forth.

This completely breaks the functionality of the program not expecting to be moved to a random place on the HD and is no longer able to locate the rest of the program files. Apple thereby successfully manages to stop malicious software by coming up with a mechanism that stops ALL software from working.

Having said that, from what we gather, this should only apply to the ISO image, and NOT to applications running off an actual CD/DVD. So in theory, if you burn the ISO to a CD (as you eventually intend), then this should not be an issue.

Give that a go, and let us know if you still have trouble.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
      X