500 error php search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 error php search

I have always used wrensoft as search function for my website. Since recently however I get an 500 error if I perform a search on my website. According to my host this is due to the fact that my php script uses too many resources. Unfortunately I cannot use cgi-bin script. Is there a way to decrease the number of resources wrensoft uses?

Are you able to get the exact error message from your webhost?

If it regarding "allowed memory size exhausted", you can see if they are willing to bump up the limit.

Is there a way to decrease the number of resources wrensoft uses?
    You can try to turn off features, but the amount of system resources being used is mostly dependent on the size of the index. If your site is too large for your webhost and you are unable to use CGI, then switching to another hosting plan (or host) that allows it might be the alternative.

Comment

Or you can reduce the size of your index.
      For example, perhaps you can split up different sections of your site, so you can index and search them separately.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

This is the exact error message: [Tue Oct 15 09:19:51.795466 2019] [error] [pid 20542] mod_proxy_fcgi.c(860): [client 80.112.123.182:57980] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes
        ) in search.php on line 1875'

Comment

That error message is explained in the link Richard posted above.

As noted, your index (be they due to your settings, or the size of the content indexed) requires more than 134 MB of RAM to execute a search query. So the solutions mentioned above are what you have to consider.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

We have the same problem. A 500 error when indexing a 52300 file site. Our server tech notes that our indexing limit is 50000 files. When we test index with 25000 files, it's fine. So that must be the problem, right? But...when we test index using an earlier version of Zoom with the 50k+, it's fine. What is the problem with V8 ?

Comment

What is the problem with V8 ?
              There is no problem.

If you are seeing the Allowed memory size of XXXXXXXXXX bytes exhausted message, then it is a configuration problem on your server.

Modern servers would typically have between 16GB and 128GB of RAM installed. It isn't unreasonable (nowadays) for a script to need 256MB of RAM to run. This is around 1% of the servers resources that will get used, for just a couple of seconds.

Just adjust the server settings a bit higher and you should be good to go.

V8 indexes a bit more than V7, so the V8 index will be slightly larger.

Comment

It wasn't an "exhausted" message. It just said that the domain could not process the request. But your advice about increasing the ram was well founded. The network increased the ram to 384M and oila! No more more 500 error. Thanks David

Comment

Working...
                X