Explorer cannot display the webpage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer cannot display the webpage

I recently bought zoom pro 4.2 and have been trying to set up a search of a website via the spider mode.

I have carried out an index of some 3-400 pdf files in a subsection of the website I work on. This runs fine once I gave it an index.php file to work from - I found it needs a file with links to follow rather than simply read through all files in a given directory.

The files generated are quite large - the largest being zoom_pagetext.zdat at nealry 5MB - these were all uploaded.

On checking the default search file http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/search.php I get 'Explorer cannot display the webpage' - try it and see!
    Any clues why this is?

I initially tested this with a few pdf files using the free version and it worked fine - the server must have appropriate permission?

Thanks
    Graham

Update

I re-indexed a few files - this worked fine.
    I then indexed 550 pdf files (unique words >150000) with the largest file now nearly 9MB and after a simple search we simply get a blank page with 'Done' at the bottem left.

Still stuck!

Comment

The index files contain all the text content of your PDF files. So for the index files to be around 9MB, I am guessing that the total size of all the PDF files was around 50MB? The index files should be significantly smaller than the source files in any case.

What you are seeing is of course not normal behaviour.

My first guess at what is is happening is that your hosting company is very restrictive and is not allowing any PHP script to run for more than about 1 sec.

So when you have a small index, the search works. But for a large index the server kills the script before completion.

We have seen this before with some cheap hosting companies. There is a detailed disucssion plus a test script in this previous post
      http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12

Run the test script and post the results.

Comment

OK

Thanks for that
        The host is the University of Manchester and they block phpinfo too!!

I will enquire directly with the admin staff about any restrictions

Cheers
        Graham

Comment

Update

The server admin have (finally) replied and said that there is no restriction on length of time for a php program to run - they cannot suggest any reason why it won't run and have referred the problem back to yourselves!

However i have got around the problem by using CGI instead of php!

Many thanks

Comment

This is what we call the denial phase. If you still have a problem run the test script (see our previous post) and then post the results from the test script.

Comment

Working...
            X