V5 development progress - Highlighting words in PDF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 development progress - Highlighting words in PDF files

We have had a script available for some time that allowed for highlighting of search words in HTML files.

But this new feature will allow for highlighting of words in PDF files. This can be enabled by adding the ".pdf" extension in the "Scan Options" tab of the
    Configuration window. Double click on this extension to see the options for
    this file extension, where you can enable this feature.

Notes
    - This requires Acrobat Reader 7.0 on the client or later for it to work.
    - Acrobat Reader doesn't handle exact phrase searches very well.
    - Indexing of PDF files is only available in the Std and Pro editions of the software (not the free version).

Please provide support for Adobe 8.0 in the near future.

Comment

Iiampedro, you didn't read the initial post. Acrobat Reader 7 or later is supported.

Comment

This feature will be great. I hope it will use the 'search' capability of Acro reader so that users can point and click to go to multiple matches listed in the search result bar of AcroReader.

Comment

Yes, in Acrobat 7 or later, the searched word will appear in a side result bar within Acrobat Reader and allow you to select from one of multiple results (just as if you did a search within Acrobat Reader).
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Just to add, we have had some users report that this works fine in Acrobat Reader 6.0 or as well. We will have to do some more testing to confirm this but it is quite possible.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
              Just to add, we have had some users report that this works fine in Acrobat Reader 6.0 or as well. We will have to do some more testing to confirm this but it is quite possible.
              I'm one of the users who reported Acrobat Reader 6 works. I have an update on that. It works fine with only one search word. If two (or more, I presume) are used, they will not be found with Acro Read 6 unless they are contiguous. For example, if the PDF contains "meadow and woods", searching for "meadow" or for "woods" works with vs 6. Searching for "meadow woods" does not work with vs 6 tho it does work for Acro Read 7. Searching for "meadow and woods" works with vs 6 better than with vs 7. The results with vs 6 will show the phrase "meadow and woods" and nothing else whereas with vs 7 the results will include all instances of "meadow", "woods", and "and" even if they are not together. Note I am not using quotes in the search term; they are in this post only for clarity. I have not spent a lot of time on this - it would be nice if someone else can try it and report. How about Acro Reader 5 anyone?
              Walter K.

Comment

Working...
              X