X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cgi on Itanium

Hi,

I have a unique situation.

I am running a web server in SUSE Linus Enterprise Server 10 on an Intel Itanium machine. The linux CGI binary that the Zoom Indexer creates will run on a 32-bit x86 machine; however, it does not seem to run if the system is 64-bit only. If I install the 32-bit compatibility libraries, it does run fine.

I wish to know if Itanium is to be supported in the future, or if I am doing something wrong.

Also, from the website I see: "Sun, IBM mainframe or Apple CPUs are not supported at the moment".

Is there, if any, progress towards supporting these as well?

Thank you,
    davE

The Zoom Linux CGI is a C++ compiled binary. It is compiled for the x86 platform. So it is no surprise that it it doesn't run on the Itanium CPU which uses a different machine code instruction set from the x86 CPUs (plus it is 64bit).

The Itanium CPU is a pretty rare beast and we have no immediate plans for a native Itanium version (Windows or Linux).

What we are planning on doing however is,

1) Building a x64 version of the CGI. Which should then make the port to other 64bit CPUs easier

2) Releasing the CGI source code for people to compile it themselves. This will be done as part of a SDK. This might solve your problem.

3) Attempting to build a 64bit Sun Sparc release of the CGI. We purchased a second hand Sun 5, Sparc 64bit CPU, machine just last week. So we'll be having a play with this over the next few weeks.

Comment

Thank you,

I am most interested in the SDK you mentioned. I await any developments with anticipation.

davE

Comment

Update: A 64bit Sun Solaris Sparc Version of the search CGI for Zoom 5 is now available as a seperate download.

Comment

Working...
        X