Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best practice - ZoomIndexer.exe executable

Hi.

I have been working on calling the ZoomIndexer.exe executable from within my asp.net codebehind.

The zoomindexer.exe are located under "C:\Programs\and so on" - I have copied it to a folder inside my webapp, to hold it inside my web app. scope.

I found out that several other foldes were needed(lang, scripts and so on), and I had some "fun" with the location of the indexlog file.

My web.app are a CMS solution, where different sites, within the same web.app. are calling the ZoomIndexer.exe executable and therefore need their own log output file.

Things are working for me now - but I would like a best practice guide on this matter.

Regards
    Hessner

For your requirements, you need to install the software to your server. (Double click on the installer package that you download from our web site). This way you don't need to attempt an manual install by copying 1 folder at a time.

You should create a configurtion file per site you need to index. Logging is optional. If you don't need it leave it off. If you do need it, then it needs to be set to a unique file name from the configuration window per configuration that you have.

Comment

Hi.

Yes, the server installation are clear to me.

1. But should I install it on drive C:\ og inside my web.app. on D:\ ?
      2. It seem to me that 1 logfile are always created(indexlog.txt), and the other is optional. I allways have to delete indexlog.txt because it contain user/password information.

Regards
      Hessner

Comment

Originally posted by hessner View Post
        1. But should I install it on drive C:\ og inside my web.app. on D:\ ?
        Zoom can be installed on any drive. But you might want to make sure your server-side permissions are setup to accomodate this.

Originally posted by hessner View Post
        2. It seem to me that 1 logfile are always created(indexlog.txt), and the other is optional. I allways have to delete indexlog.txt because it contain user/password information.
        You can toggle on/off what information is logged from the "Index Log" tab of the Configuration window. The log should not contain user/password information unless you have these in your URLs as start points (eg. http://www.mysite.com/login.php?user=george&pass=ringo), in which case, you could turn off the index/scan messages when you've properly setup the site and decided you don't need them logged.

When Zoom is run with a command-line option (eg. "-o" or "-s"), it creates a log file named "zoomindexer.log" in the same folder where the ZoomIndexer.exe executable is located. We were planning to get rid of this and only use the optional log file (as specified in the abovementioned tab) and we may do this in the next build. Nonetheless, the "Index Log" options mentioned above apply to both log files.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X