Image Indexing Causing System Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Indexing Causing System Crash

Nearly every time I try to index a directory of photos, CPU usage hits 100% and my system needs to be rebooted (Win 2000, 1 GB RAM, 2.4 GHz).
    I have the lasted updates of Zoom and plug-in.
    I am using ASP for a network intranet.
    I have tried tweaking everything I can find in the configuration to limit the amount of data being indexed for each file.
    I am using thumbnails created from each photo with SnagIt. The thumbnails are stored in a folder in the website. Photos are on the network.
    I have looked everywhere on this website for an answer but still can't begin to understand way this is happing.
    Do you have any idea why this would cause such a severe system impact?

There was a known problem caused by a bug with a 3rd party product called System Mechanic 7, that caused 100% CPU usage. But the symtoms aren't exactly what you describe. But it is still worth checking.

There was also another problem caused by an Internet Explorer bug that caused 100% CPU usage during indexing. So this is also worth checking out.

Despite the title of your post, I assume there wasn't actually a system crash? Can you just use Windows Task Manager to see what process is using 100% of the CPU and kill it?

If you still have a problem, please get back to me.

Comment

Thanks for your concern.

I don't have System Mechanic.
      I have IE 6 because of Win 2000.
      And yes, I killed Windows with the Task Manager - no other option there.

I ran Zoom for the pictures after a clean boot and it worked.

Maybe it could be the 'LaunchU3' that automatically loads when the Memorex flash drive plugs in - I'll let you know if that pinpoints the problem, or if I keep having the problem regardless.

Chris

Comment

By the way, does this Internet Explorer issue pertain to a particular version?
        Like IE ver 6?
        I'm still having the 100% CPU problem.

These 11 network folders hold 1,588 files, 99% *.JPG (a few *.PDF). Total size = 757 MB

I'm I using a good enough computer? Or, what should I consider if I ugrade?
        Last edited by cbungart; Apr-19-2007, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Have you tried disabling the "Use HTTP 1.1" option in Internet Explorer, as described in this FAQ given above?

While Microsoft only documented the issue for older versions of IE, we have found (and have seen many reports) of it still occurring in later versions of IE, including IE 6 and 7. So we would recommend trying this solution first.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X