Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching through multiple indexes

Hey,

I'll try to describe this best as I can since I'm kind of confused myself and haven't gotten much info from my network admin.

We used to have it so that the main search on a website searches the entire site, and the network admin had it so that in your form, you don't actually called the search.cgi file, but a search.exe.

He created a virtual directory with the index collection inside of it and disabled cgi files from being run. He created a search.exe that I'm guessing runs the search.cgi. So if I wanted to run a search, in the form I just call "whateverURL/search.exe".

Now, after recieving new specs, they want certain sections of the site have their own index collection, (different search boxes search different content). So I went and created multiple index collections, but now I'm faced with the dilmena of that search.exe file. If I call that search.exe file, it just searches the original index collection. Went to my network admin about this and he said that in the searchreqeust, I could point it to the main search file, and then in the URI tell it to what folder the index files are.

Any clue how I would do what he suggested? Or, is there any other way I could do this, maybe without having to have multiple index collections? Thanks.

The search.cgi file is a binary executable (in the same way that a .exe file is a binary executable). In some cases the IIS web server software might be configured to treat all CGI's as Perl scripts. In this case some people rename the search.cgi file to be search.exe, to get around this problem. So my guess is that your search.exe file is actually our search.cgi file.

To search sub-sections of your web site you can either,

1) Create multiple sets of index files. With each set of of index files in a different directory and it's own copy of search.cgi (This would be search.exe in your case).

2) Use the categories feature in Zoom to define several categories for your site. See the Users Guide for details about categories. In this case you will only have 1 directory and 1 set of index files and 1 copy of search.exe.

What your network admin said was probably not correct (but it is hard to be sure becuase I can't see what your guys have set up or customised on your web site).

Comment

Working...
    X