Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List all search results per category & asp high cpu utilization

Hello,

From what I can tell, Zoom does not have the concept of a "blank search query". What I am wanting to do is to list all possible results of a category, without needing to enter anything in the search query box.

With the asp output search, I tried entering just a single * for a search, which resulted in high CPU utilization and locking of nearly all requests to that app pool (Win2k3 IIS 6.0) until the asp script timed out. The php/cgi version of the search do not appear to have this problem, as they list this error message:

The following word(s) are in the skip word list and have been omitted from your search: "*"

Is there a way to perform a "blank search query" or a way to list all possible results of a category?

Also, is the single * search a bug in the Zoom asp output?

Thanks in advance,

pj_servadmin

Doing a double star, **, search will match all words and thus also match all documents. But is isn't particularly efficient. Because it isn't very efficient it can take a while to complete if you have a moderately sized set of index files. We should be blocking a single star search in all scripts to avoid this long inefficient search.

A more efficient search would be to search for a single word that appears on all pages, e.g. the company name (this could even be a dummy word that you insert into the meta data of each page)

Also if you wanted a simple list of all URLs indexed you could use the site map file that Zoom can generate (but this won't tell you which category each URL is in).

Comment

RE: List all search results per category & asp high cpu utilization
      We should be blocking a single star search in all scripts to avoid this long inefficient search.

Then I would like to point out that there is a bug in Version 5.0 (Build: 1007) that the .asp output does not error out after entering a single asterisk as the sole search term. The error that does not appear on .asp, but does in php & cgi output is:
      Search results for: *
      The following word(s) are in the skip word list and have been omitted from your search: "*"
      No results found.

Comment

This will be fixed in the next release (V5.0 build 100. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

RE:List all search results per category & asp high cpu utilization

Thanks much for your attention to this matter.

pj_servadmin

Comment

Working...
          X