Search page doesnt work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search page doesnt work

Hi, I have been having trouble with one of my search configurations. I am searching about 2000 files and about 100000 unique words. After indexing the Search.html page doesnt display anything but the header and the search box.

The PC has only about 256 memory. What would cause this?

Thanks

First of all, please tell us which script platform you are using. I presume you are using the Javascript version by your mention of a "search.html" page.

If this is the case, you should refer to the FAQ and Users Guide which describe the limitations of javascript:
    Q. What is Javascript?

More importantly, this FAQ directly answers your question (see the paragraph which addresses Javascript specifically):
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...tml#largesites

Basically, Javascript is a very limited scripting platform and it is not recommended for large data sets. If you are hosting your search page on a web server, then you should almost never use the Javascript option, and instead select one of the server-side options (PHP, ASP, CGI).

If you need to provide search of large data sets without a web server (eg. on a CD-ROM), then you should refer to the following FAQ:
    Q. Are there other, more powerful options, for adding a search engine to a CD-ROM?
    Last edited by Ray; Apr-27-2007, 01:27 AM.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yes.. I am using Javascript. I am not using a website, rather I use the search engine over a file server. If I limit the word count, should that help? If not I will have to break the search engine into smaller searches...

I will read the links you posted.

Thanks for the help.

Bones

Comment

Limiting the unique words may help. But it sounds like you generally have more data than Javascript can handle. If you are running the search on an Intranet, I would recommend either setting up a web server (which can be quite easily done these days - any Windows computer can have IIS enabled and turned into a web server), or consider using something like Server2Go as described in the FAQ I linked to before.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks..that helped. I have one Aircraft flight manual which has thousand of unique words. I will run that search sperate./ In the mean while will probably turn it into a webserver....

thanks

Comment

Working...
          X