Meta Data Not Being Indexed on PDFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta Data Not Being Indexed on PDFs

I'm using Version 5.1. I have a folder on one of our file servers that houses a bunch of scanned PDFs. In order to improve the search functionality, I had planned to add keywords to these PDFs.

Method of adding keywords: Right clicking on PDF, selecting the 'summary' tab, and adding the keywords to the Keywords field.

However, after doing this and indexing the folder, these key words are not working on the search. They do work when added the same way to word documents (instead of PDFs.)

I've tried a few different settings to no avail, but my current settings (that are still failing) are:

Offline Mode
    Platform: Javascript
    PDF plugin enabled and the .pdf extension added on the 'Scan Options' tab
    Everything selected under the 'What to index' on the 'Indexing Options' tab

I've even created myself a little testing environment to determine that the PDFs are being indexed on words in their title, words in the document (if not a scan), but just not any words placed in any meta data fields. As mentioned earlier, documents with .doc extension will successfully index with meta data.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you right click on a PDF, and select properties, you should see two tabs, PDF and Summary. (but this varies depending on your O/S version, security settings, file system, and what other 3rd party software you have installed).

Information presented on the PDF tab is from inside the PDF file. This is what Zoom uses. But I think you have the have the Adobe PDF installed to be able to edit the details on this tab. You can also see this meta data from within the Adobe viewer, from the File / Properties menu.

Information presented on the summary tab is from the Windows NTFS file system (technically speaking it is in another NTFS file stream). Zoom doesn't read this information, as it is lost when you serve up a PDF file from a web server or move the file to a key drive with the FAT32 file system. As an example of this information being lost, try transfering a PDF file to a web server using FTP, then download the file again using FTP. Any data on the summary tab will be lost.

As an alternative to editing the PDF, you can also use .desc files, to associate meta data with a PDF. See the users guide for details.

Comment

Thank you much!

Comment

Working...
      X