Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displaying both Meta and Context Description

Hi

I am a new user of the Zoom Engine and have found a problem. I would like to display both the Meta description and the Context description in the search results. When I tick both boxes on the 'Results Layout' tab only the Context description is displayed. Just ticking one or the other check boxes works OK but not when I click both. Am I doing something wrong?

Looks like a great product though, thanks.

Trevor

Meta descriptions are only displayed for pages which have meta descriptions. Perhaps you were looking at results from different searches each time, and some of the pages had meta descriptions and some don't?

Or perhaps you don't actually have any meta descriptions on your pages. I suspect this because when you have "Context description" disabled, and only "Meta description" enabled, and Zoom does not find a meta description on a page, it will take the first portion of text from the content/body of that page, and use that as a meta description. Perhaps that is what's happening here.

It might even be that you have meta description tags which are not properly specified (invalid HTML syntax, or they are specified outside of the <head>...</head> section of the page), and thus Zoom does not find them.

These are all just educated guesses though. Check if the above possible reasons are the cause, and if not, give us the URL to the actual pages in question and your search page and we can take a closer look.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      Or perhaps you don't actually have any meta descriptions on your pages. I suspect this because when you have "Context description" disabled, and only "Meta description" enabled, and Zoom does not find a meta description on a page, it will take the first portion of text from the content/body of that page, and use that as a meta description. Perhaps that is what's happening here.
      Thanks Ray, that was it, no Meta Descriptions!!
      I am setting it up for someone else's website and assumed descriptions had been added.

Trevor

Comment

Working...
      X