Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-sale question - have to save indexing files into 2 separate folders

Hi,
    My webserver support Javascript, but all the js file have to be saved in a separated folder called "support-files", and the html file is saved into the root. What do I need to change in my search.html to make the search engine works?
    Thank you.

Javascript is a client side script. It runs inside your browser. This is on contrast to scripts like PHP and ASP, which run on the server.

The server has nothing to do with executing Javascript so this means that *all* webservers support Javascript (they just send the file to the browser for execution).

Thus it would be extremely unusual to need to separate JS files and HTML files on the server and only have HTML files in the root. In 10 years of web development, dealing with dozens of hosting companies, we have never seen anything like this. So I wonder if you might have misinterpreted the requirements of your host? Who are you hosting with?

The script make certain assumption about all the search related files being in the same folder and you would need to edit our scripts to change this.

Comment

Thank you for your quick respond.
      I don't think I misinterpret the requirements. I'm building my website using SiteSell.com

Comment

I just had a look at the Sitesell web site. Somehow they are trying to promote their lack of basic features like Perl, CGI, PHP & ASP scripting as a good thing, "No tech at Site Build It". Dont fall for this marketing spin.

Reading further, it seems you might be right. They seem to forbid the creation of sub-directories nor put a .JS file in the root folder. Which is just insane, it is like going back to the way computing was in the 1960s. They seem to promote this as a feature that is somehow going to make your life easier. It isn't. You are going to need to customise the scripts to make it work on Sitesell.

I think it would be easier to get a real hosting company.

Comment

Working...
        X