PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Page Boost Weighting for a directory or file type.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Boost Weighting for a directory or file type.

I am adding tons of great content to my site, the problem. That free content is out ranking my PDF files. The PDF files don't really show up until page 2 of the results.

All of the pages that I didn't really want to rank well I added the "-5" page boost meta tag. It dropped a lot of them. But still my PDFs are ranked far behind.

I would go with the .desc file, but I have close to 10,000 PDFs, that would take forever.

I would use the content density tweak, but the PDF files have less words than the HTML pages on average.

Is there a way to add a boost to a file type (PDF)?

or

is there a way to add a boost to directory?

For example:

home.com/directoryIwanttorankhigh

Thanks.
    Last edited by teachermckee; Dec-14-2007, 11:19 AM.

There is no way to just select an entire directory for boosting. Nor a type of file.

PDF and HTML files are ranked the same, all else being equal. So I am guessing that your HTML files appear to be more relevant because they have better meta data. (better keywords, page titles and meta descriptions). People in general take less care when creating PDF files and the meta data is often poor.

On the other hand large PDF files tend to rank highly becuase search terms appear in them many times.

Do you have some example of these PDF's we could look at.

Comment

Working...
    X