Synonyms & Recommended Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synonyms & Recommended Links

Hi. New user to Zoom Search but finding it very useful.
    I have a question regarding synonyms and recommended links. Is it possible for the recommended links to show up for a particular keyword/phrase when somebody types in its synonym?
    Also, is it possible for recommended links to show up for a keyword/phrase if somebody puts an extra word in it e.g. the football shirts recommended link appears when user types in red football shirts or cheap football shirts
    Last edited by samk; Dec-19-2007, 10:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something/spelling error

I don't believe either of those is possible. You must enter every "recommended links" word or phrase into the configuration file.

Good luck,
    Leon

Comment

Synonyms to not trigger recomended links. But you can just enter in additional recomneded links to get around this behaviour.

The recomended link behaviour can be a bit confusing when using phrases.

If the recomended link word is the single word, shirts then you get the following results.

Search terms / Results
      shirts => Match
      SHIRTS => Match
      Shirts => Match
      red shirts => Match
      red shirts price => Match
      shirt => No Match (doesn't match on plurial / singular forms)
      "red shirts" => No Match (single word doesn't match exact phrase)
      shirt* => Match (wild cards do match)

If the recomended link word is a phrase, football shirts then you get the following results.

Search terms / Results
      shirts => No Match
      red shirts => No Match
      football shirts => Match
      cheap football shirts => No Match (*)
      cheap "football shirts" => Match
      "cheap football shirts" => No Match
      football shirts price => No Match

(*) I think an argument could be made that this behaviour is inconsistent with the single word recomended link and the result for cheap "football shirts". So maybe we need to look at this for the next release.

Comment

Synonyms and Recommended Links

Thanks for the clear, concise explanation.
        I also noticed that if you have a single keyword recommended link e.g. shirt, it's displayed even if you have the recommended link football shirt. Pity it doesn't display both!!
        Perhaps this post can help those wanting to have recommended links on all their pages. Simply choose common words that pertain to your site and create recommended links for that particular word e.g. if you run a pet store, simply create recommended links for every animal you have, making the title and description generic and appealing

Comment

Working...
        X