Saved configuration doesn't keep all synonyms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved configuration doesn't keep all synonyms

When I load a saved configuration it does not include all the synonyms I had when I saved it. I have about 570 synonyms and it only remembers about 53 (through the B's alphabetically). I suspect a bug in need of fixing with a future update.

Also when I relaunch Zoom Search Engine Indexer, it brings back the last configuration by default (which is nice). Unfortunately, it changes the Base URL each time which requires me to re-edit it.

My Start spider from this URL link is:
    http://www.mydomain.com/site/spider/index.htm

My Base URL is:
    http://www.mydomain.com/site/

When I relaunch the Indexer, the Base URL is transformed to:
    http://www.mydomain.com/site/spider/

Submitted for your consideration,

Andrew

Make sure you have saved your configuration after making changes (click on "File"->"Save configuration" or "Save configuration As..."). We have not seen a problem with the base URL with any saved configuration file.

Note that the current version of Zoom does not re-load the most recently used configuration on launch. Perhaps you are not using the ZCFG file you are expecting? It will always load the default "zoom.zcfg" file in the program files folder. If you want Zoom to launch with a selected ZCFG file, you can double-click on the ZCFG file in Windows Explorer and it will start Zoom with the selected configuration file.

Similarly, I wonder if this explains why your synonyms are not imported (you're using a different ZCFG file to the one you're saving to). If not, e-mail us a copy of the synonyms text file you are importing from and we can look into it further. You might also want to send us a copy of your ZCFG file.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I suspect you're right that I'm seeing a different zoomconfig file rather than the one I'm expecting which explains the change in the Base URL.

With respect to the the dropped synonyms, this occurs even after I save the config file. In fact, I can reproduce the error by deleting all the synonyms, re-importing them, saving the file, closing the Indexer, reopening the Indexer and opening the specified zoomconfig file. On re-opening it, only a subset (the first 53 or so) of the synonyms remain.

I'll send the synonym list and the zoomconfig file to see if you can reproduce this on your end.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comment

We've confirmed the behaviour. It is due to a space character on line 24 of your synonyms list. The current version will stop reading in synonyms when a space is encountered. You can avoid this by doing a search and replace of your synonyms.txt file to remove any space characters.

A second issue in your list is on line 121 which contains this:

Graesbeck=Gräsbeck)'s,Gräsbeck,Gräsbecks,Gräsbeck' s,Grasbecks,Grasbeck's,Grasbeck)'s,Grasbeck,Graesb eck's,Graesbecks
        I suspect the parentheses in the words are a mistake. But in addition to this, the synonyms are too long. There is a maximum of 100 characters for any single synonyms entry (the right hand side of the '=' sign). Normally a warning is given when you enter this in the UI, but the import feature isn't recognizing this at the moment. This also causes the list to be truncated. Removing this line will fix the problem.

We have rewritten the import synonyms feature in V6, and it will not have these problems. It will automatically strip space characters in the list, and it will also not truncate a list when an error is found (it will only ignore the entry it has trouble with). We are close to issueing an early alpha release for V6 and you can contact us by e-mail if you would like to join our beta testing.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for the detailed analysis.

The space in line 24 does correlate with where the extra synonym lines are dropped. Interestingly, synonyms after those with a space are still successfully imported and incorporated when indexing. It's just that when the config is saved and re-opened the ones after the space are missing.

Thanks for adding these features into v6 to help with idiot-proofing

Andrew

Comment

Do you have a synonyms.txt I could have please

Comment

Working...
            X