Access site in IE, but not in Zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access site in IE, but not in Zoom

I've got Zoom installed on my PC, and I can access the site I'm trying to index in IE, but when I cut and paste the url into the Zoom indexer, it tells me "Unable to download URL (Invalid URL or domain name).

What gives? I've been able to index the same url on a different PC, on a different network. Could it be that the Zoom indexer uses a special port to access the site?

Thanks for any help,

./ben
    Last edited by benklocek; Sep-25-2008, 10:06 PM.

No, Zoom does not use any special port. It uses the same proxy settings as IE.

You're more likely to have firewall software running that's blocking access. It's probably configured to permit access to IE. In which case, you need to configure it to allow Zoom (or any other application which accesses the Internet).

XP and Vista have a built-in firewall, but a window should pop up warning and asking you if you want to grant it access to the Internet. Unless you hit "No" and asked it to not ask you again.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I've disabled the firewall, and still no dice. Do I just need to figure it out on my end? Or could it be Zoom?

Comment

What is the URL for the site? We can try it from here and determine if it is your installation or something special about the site.

But as you have already stated that it works fine on anther PC, it is likely that there is something special about the PC that doesn't work. Hardware and software firewalls are the most common issue. But unstable Internet connections, or inaccessible DNS servers can cause similar issues. As can some 3rd party 'security' software. Or it could be something as simple as a typo in the URL you entered.

Comment

I figured it out. It had the Widows Firewall AND the MaCafee Firewall running.

Comment

Working...
          X