Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom Search upgrade?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using Zoom Search Engine Professional 5.1.1002 and would like to upgrade to 5.1.1017.

1) What is the proper procedure?
    2) Is there a cost involved?
    3) Do I need to uninstall the previous version?
    4) Will my many configuration files (.zcfg) still work?
    5) What about my old file-type plugins? Do they need to be upgraded also?
    6) Is the latest version secure against XSS attacks?

One last question: Should I just wait for Version 6?

Many thanks. Great product.

Phil

1) See my answer to point (3).

2) There is no cost involved for any minor upgrades. This means anything like V5.x.xxxx. So there is no cost for upgrading from 5.1.1002 to 5.1.1017. Neither is there any cost upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1.1017.

A major upgrade is something like V5.x to V6.x

3) When installing a minor upgrade such as a new build, you can simply install it on top of your existing installation. You might want to answer "No" when it prompts you if you want to overwrite your existing configuration.

When installing a major upgrade, it will by default, install into a new directory, so you can have two versions of Zoom installed on the same computer concurrently. You can choose which one you want to use. Once you are comfortable with the new version, you may want to uninstall the old one. But it's not mandatory.

4) We always strive to make new versions of Zoom compatible with old configuration files. So they tend to be backwards compatible. But they will not be forward compatible - that is, you cannot load a configuration file created with V6, in V5.

5) In some cases, new versions of the plugins will be made available with the new release. Check the "Last updated" date for each plugin on the plugin page. Usually, you would not need to update them unless you actually come across a problem with them.

6) The latest build has addressed all XSS attacks that we are aware of.

Version 6 is probably only a few weeks away if everything goes according to plan. But for anyone who purchases V5 now,they will receive a free upgrade to V6. So it doesn't really matter.

In your case, there really is no reason not to get the latest build (the last 4 digits of the version number indicates build. So you are actually using V5.1 build 1002). In general, you should always get the latest build available for the version you are using.

Hope that helps.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X