Version 4.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 4.3

I am extremely happy with your product. It is one of the greatest purchases I have ever made. I have the Pro version and I don't regret my purchase in the least. I was wondering though, when will version 4.3 or 4.4 (or whatever the next version will be numbered) be coming out? And will it have dramatic improvements in such areas as category searches/usage?

V4.0 of the software was released in Dec 2004. Since then there have been a lot of minor releases. The most recent of which was about 2 weeks ago, 4.2.1009

Our plan at the moment is not to have a public 4.3 release, but to do a major release, V5, maybe around May 2006. There will almost definitely need to be a new 4.2 bug fix release before then however.

This might change however depending on our quickly we finish coding the various new features.

This week we are working on
    1) Fixing a rare bug that is causing an intermittent crash for 1 customer who is indexing 300 web sites in one session. It is proving much trickier to find the problem than we hoped because of vast amount of data invovled, indexing sessions that last up to 8 hours each & the random nature of the fault.

2) Implementing a basic image search option.

------
    David

Comment

Is the most recent minor update available then?

Originally posted by Wrensoft
      V4.0 of the software was released in Dec 2004. Since then there have been a lot of minor releases. The most recent of which was about 2 weeks ago, 4.2.1009

Our plan at the moment is not to have a public 4.3 release, but to do a major release, V5, maybe around May 2006. There will almost definitely need to be a new 4.2 bug fix release before then however.

This might change however depending on our quickly we finish coding the various new features.

This week we are working on
      1) Fixing a rare bug that is causing an intermittent crash for 1 customer who is indexing 300 web sites in one session. It is proving much trickier to find the problem than we hoped because of vast amount of data invovled, indexing sessions that last up to 8 hours each & the random nature of the fault.

2) Implementing a basic image search option.

------
      David
      All very interesting. Is the most recent minor update available to me then, for free? I purchased the Pro version not too long ago. Also, will I be able to get the bug fix that you are planning on doing? How do we get these updates? How do we hear about them? Why is it necessary for the customer to keep checking back rather than your company sending out an e-mailing to notify us of it?

Comment

Details of upgrades are here,
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/upgrade/upgrade.html

V4.x upgrades to the current V4.2 release are free. Just download and install the new software from our web site.

You can check this page to see what is new.
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

Not everyone wants E-Mails about new versions.

-----
        David
        Last edited by Ray; May-23-2007, 02:00 AM. Reason: Updated upgrade link

Comment

Originally posted by Wrensoft
          Details of V3 to V4 upgrades are here,
          http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/upgrade/v4upgrade.html

V4.x upgrades to the current V4.2 release are free. Just download and install the new software from our web site.

You can check this page to see what is new.
          http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

Not everyone wants E-Mails about new versions.

-----
          David
          David,

Maybe you should have an e-mail listing, which is volunteer, to receive e-mails about updates and new products from your company? Most companies have this option.

Kind Regards,

James Farley

Comment

We will continue to consider the possibility of setting up a mailing list for updates, etc. However, this is not currently available due to various problems in the past, with ISPs being overly spam-sensitive, users signing up and forgetting they've done so, etc.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Are you thinking of implementing the image search before version 5? Earlier you mentioned that you were working on the basic image search and I am just not clear if that is going to be in a bug fix release or a major release.

Can you let us know any other features that you are thinking of for the next major release?

Shawn

Comment

Some type of image search will be available in V5.

We may do a beta release before hand however.

-----
                David

Comment

Working...
                X