How to create custom search form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create custom search form

Zoom is working fine for me.I want to make my own search form which I will include on my page(s).I am asking is there a way to include that option in zoom software like some instruction buton or other similar option.Can somebody tell me which names I must use for buton,form,text field and other objects and which function I need to include in mu custom search page(form) below the line "form ....." so it can work.What (action="") or other stuf I also must to include in my form?

This is answered on our FAQ page here:
    Q. How do I put search forms on different pages of my website? (Or define my own search form?)
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

That is OK.But if I want to display results on same page where is mu form there is one more problem.First I write in my form body (action="") and include :

<script language="JavaScript">ZoomSearch();</script>
      <noscript>You must have JavaScript enabled to use this version of the search engine.</noscript>

in body section of my page.Also I place :

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
      <title>Example search page for Zoom Search Engine (JavaScript version)</title>
      <script language="JavaScript" src="settings.js"></script>
      <script language="JavaScript" src="search.js"></script>

<style type="text/css">
      .highlight { background: #FFFF40; }
      .searchheading { font-size: 130%; font-weight: bold; }
      .summary { font-size: 80%; font-style: italic; }
      .results { font-size: 100%; }
      .category { color: #999999; }
      .description { font-size: 100%; }
      .context { font-size: 100%; }
      .infoline { font-size: 80%; font-style: normal; color: #808080;}
      .sorting { text-align: right; }
      .result_title { font-size: 100%; }

.zoom_searchform { font-size: 100%; }
      .zoom_options { font-size: 80%; }
      input.zoom_button { }
      input.zoom_searchbox { }
      </style>
      in head of page.Then my form works fine whith all elements (categories too).But when I see results there is no mu search query word displayed in search query object which is not happening whith original search page.What I need to write to fix this problem?

Comment

Let me try to clarify a few things:

By default, Zoom automatically generates a search form on the search page. In most cases, you do not need to define your own search form on the search page itself.

The search form that is automatically generated on the search page will maintain the user submitted search values.

The FAQ (and your original post, or so it seemed) referred to adding search forms on the other pages of your site. This is similar to how we have the search box on every page of our main website (http://www.wrensoft.com/). Now, note that when you submit something, you are taken to the search page, where the actual search form is filled in. The custom search form (the one on the menu bar) would not need to maintain its value.

IF, however, you wish to define your own search form on the search page itself (and disable the automatically generated one in the Configuration window), then this will not magically maintain the user submitted search values as the generated one did. This is the compromise. But note that this approach is usually not necessary as you can make many customizations to the generated search form via CSS and the ZLANG files (see here: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/css.html). It is only necessary when you want to make very radical changes. In such cases, if you define your own search form, there is no way that we can automatically fill in the values for you, and it is up to you to achieve this via additional Javascripting.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I can not move form elements on page if the form is generated.I want to decorate page like other pages on my site.Only what I need is code for generated form which will not restart when I press search buton , that is all.
          Thank you for understanding.

Comment

Working...
          X