Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search.cgi always stalls when uploading via FTP

Hi:
    I can't seem to upload search.cgi via FTP no matter what. Just a little info:

1) search.cgi always stalls at the same place, around 77% in FTP.

2) In WS_FTP, I get the error "blocking error". In Fire FTP, it just hangs perpetually after reaching that point.

3) This happens on two servers I've tested, both of which are hosted at Wiredtree.com btw.

4) I've never had a problem with search.cgi from v5.0, though that one was around 250kb, and the v6.0 one around 450kb. Both crawl the same site.

This probably has something to do with specific settings over at Wiredtree, but everything is fairly standard as far as I know. Is there any known scenarios where search.cgi won't upload fully? These are Linux servers running cPanel btw.

Thanks,

The CGI is just a file like any other file. If you have FTP problem with 3 different clients, then there is a problem on your server, in the FTP configuration or with your internet connection.

To start with turn on PASV (passive mode) and try the transfer again. Also make sure you select binary mode if using 3rd party FTP clients (DON'T USE ASCII / TEXT MODE).

Here is the WS_FTP knowledge absed article for the blocking call canceled error. Which is the error I assume you are refering to.

Comment

Yep, I've ensured all of the above and more, that is:

- Tried uploading via both passive mode and non passive in WS_FTP and FireFTP.
      - Tried using Zoom v6.0's built in FTP program to upload instead.
      - Tried disabling any local firewall on my PC at the same time.
      - Tried the above on two separate PCs at my home.

Still no go- always stalls at around 77%. Now, I got my web host to try uploading the same "search.cgi" file to my account (she happens to use a Mac), and it works, so that seems to suggest the issue being specific to my computer, though both PCs at the same time? Furthermore, "search.cgi" v5.0 has always worked just fine via FTP for me.

I'll keep twinkering around to see if I can find a solution to this strange problem, but as of now I just can't upload v6.0 search.cgi to any of my accounts hosted at Wiredtree (and I have more than 1 account, from a virtual to a dedicated server).

thanks,

Comment

If you are running any "security" software. Try disabling it temporarily.

If your host supports Secure FTP (SFTP), try that. It uses a different port and might get around possible ISP issues.

If you are technical minded. You might want to do a TCP/IP trace to see where the transfer fails. But this can get very complex very quickly.

See also the comments about time outs in the WS_FTP article.

Comment

Working...
        X