X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weightings duplication

I use this coding:

<h2><a href="index.shtml" title="Volvo History">VOLVO HISTORY</a></h2>

It seems Volvo History is being picked up more than once and is shown twice in search results.

For the page www.volvoclub.org.uk/history/index.shtml the search result shows the same info twice even though it only appears once on the page:

4. The History of Volvo Cars [Web Pages Only] [Web and PDF Files] [Volvo History]
    The History of Volvo Cars. A concise history of the Volvo car from 1927 to today.
    ... VOLVO HISTORY The Volvo Owners Club has put many of these historic documents together here to make them easier to find. These documents ... VOLVO HISTORY The Volvo Owners Club has put many of these historic documents together here to make them easier to find. These documents ...
    Terms matched: 2 - Score: 1846 - 36013k - URL: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/history/index.shtml

Bob
    Robert Isaac
    Volvo Owners Club

If you do a 2 or 3 word search, then it is normal that 2 or 3 text extracts are used in the results. If the search words happen to appear next to each other, or close to each other then it is normal that you can get some overlap in the text extracts.

This does not indicate a duplication of data in the index.

If you do a single word search or exact phrase search, then you won't see this.

Comment

You are right...again. But how many people would think or remember to put the quotes either side. I often put in a phrase without quotes when using one of the big SE's and get my result.

Bob
      Robert Isaac
      Volvo Owners Club

Comment

I suspect you entered a duplicate word in the query or two words next to each other that appear at the start of the page? Either case is unusual.

The result is reasonable (in our opinion) with or without quotes, for typical searches.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. In this example I used "Volvo History" as the search terms (with quotes). Since there is a menu link to that section of our site I doubt anyone would use that exact search term.

Bob
          Robert Isaac
          Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Working...
          X