Http 404 Not Found after clicking submit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Http 404 Not Found after clicking submit

I installed version 6 today, no previous version installed, and have configured it to use the PHP platform. I can load the search.php page and enter a search term. Most of the time when I click submit I receive an HTTP 404 Not Found - The Webpage Can Not Be Found page. Oddly, sometimes I open a new IE window and go to the search page I can successfully get a page of results one time but Page Not Founds after that; even if all I do is to click to go to the next page of results.

I have tried Spider and Offlines modes both. The files being indexed are an internal intranet site. The help indicates that the problem is typically the Base URL but I have checked that and tried it with and without a / on the end.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is or where to look.

Thanks for your help.

If clicking "Submit" gives you a 404 immediately, you might have an incorrect "Link back URL" setting. This is specified on the "Advanced" panel of the Configure tab.

Are you embedding the search page within another PHP page? If so, please give us more details on this. If not, the "Link back URL" setting should be left blank.

If you are getting search results, but clicking on the search results lead to 404 errors, then yes, it is likely a base URL issue (especially when using Offline Mode). You can determine what is wrong with the result links if you hover your mouse over them in the browser and see where they point to in the bottom left corner of the browser window. Tell us what the URLs are pointing to, and where you expect them to point to. Also, tell us what your start URL and base URL settings are.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Oh and if you have specified your own search form (as opposed to using the automatically generated one), then the problem is likely your search form HTML. Check that your action= attribute is specified correctly.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Ray,

Thank you for your help. I am using the automatically generated search form. Also, I am not embedding the search page within another PHP page. I am using the search.php exactly as it was generated.

I checked my Link back URL in the Advanced tab and found it to be blank.

The url that our desktops use to access the intranet site is 'http://osad-intranet/resourcecenter/'. The 'osad-intranet' is a DNS alias for the actual server name of 'osad-int-1'.

I have set the indexing mode to Spider and pointed it at both 'http://osad-intranet/resourcecenter/' and 'http://osad-int-1/resourcecenter' to see if that helped. When pointed to 'http://osad-intranet/resourcecenter/' the Base Url was automatically set to 'http://osad-intranet/resourcecenter/' as well.

What is happening for me currently is if I open a new instance of IE7 and go to my bookmark for http://osad-intranet/resourcecenter/search.php sometimes I get the search page and sometimes I get the Page Not Found. If I get the Page Not Found upon first trying to navigate to the search.php page then I never get to it unless I close IE and try again. When I do get to it, if I enter a search term I am getting a populated results page. If I click on one of the linked results I successfully get to that page or file. If, however, I try to click to go to the next page of search results I then get the 404 Page Not Found. Also, if I try to perform another search all I ever get is the Page Not Found. If I close IE and reopen I may or may not get the search page.

I also want to add, just in case, that I installed PHP5 yesterday and have not rebooted the server. I did restart the default web site and can see the PHP information if I load a PHP test file. Since I can see the search page and results sometimes it doesn't seem to be a PHP issue, but I am not well versed with PHP.

Thanks

Comment

Also, if I hit refresh on the search.php page in IE sometimes I get a page that states No Input File Specified. If I try to open search.php in Firefox I have to enter credentials and then I can get the search box but if I click submit all I ever get it the No Input File Specified message.
          Last edited by GWhite; Jan-15-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

In my testing today I switched to using the ASP platform. Although the ASP is slower, it is working perfectly. Would it seem, then, that this is a PHP problem?

Comment

Originally posted by GWhite View Post
              What is happening for me currently is if I open a new instance of IE7 and go to my bookmark for http://osad-intranet/resourcecenter/search.php sometimes I get the search page and sometimes I get the Page Not Found. If I get the Page Not Found upon first trying to navigate to the search.php page then I never get to it unless I close IE and try again.
              OK, this doesn't sound like it would have anything to do with Zoom.

I think there's a problem with your network and/or intranet web server. A PHP page should never return a 404 (page not found) sporadically, and the script doesn't do anything that would cause this. Do you see this problem with any other file on the server? Can you try it with another PHP file?

Given what you've told me, I think you should contact your network and server admins. Without being able to directly see the problem here, I'm not sure what else we can advise.

Originally posted by GWhite View Post
              Also, if I hit refresh on the search.php page in IE sometimes I get a page that states No Input File Specified. If I try to open search.php in Firefox I have to enter credentials and then I can get the search box but if I click submit all I ever get it the No Input File Specified message.
              "No Input File Specified" is not a Zoom error message.

I believe it is an IIS error, and a likely indication that PHP is not setup correctly on your IIS server. Do a Google search on it for more information.

Zoom does not prompt for "credentials" so clearly this is again, something to do with either your server, or maybe your browser proxy settings.

From what you tell me, I'll guess that you are using IIS as a web server, and PHP is incorrectly installed on it. ASP however, is built-in so it may be working. Again, you should consult your server admin.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks, Ray for your advice. ASP is working fine so I think I will leave it that way.

I did determine that the credential issue in Firefox is default due to Firefox not automatically passing Kerberos information when using integrated Windows authentication. I think you are right that there must be something wrong with the PHP install.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X