Indexing documents and database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing documents and database

I am creating a system that indexes documents and then searches the documents using the Zoom Search. When I upload my document to the website I insert a record in a database with data including the filename and some tags and create an id.

Zoom indexes the documents but I am not sure how I link the index results to the database details. If I created a page (using asp) and then on that page had custom meta search fields, I know I can search for that page but I dont know how I can also link those results to the document that has been indexed.

I simply want to search for documents that have been uploaded to the system by keyword (from document text) or by keyword (from custom search fields).

How can I do this?

Thanks

John

Addition:

I have just seen this post: http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773. Is it possible to do what I need by simply linking to the document and then the spider indexes the page and follows the link to the document. So will the search engine result link to the page or the document?

Thanks

John
    Last edited by TheMediaLounge; Mar-17-2009, 07:51 PM. Reason: Updated information

It is hard to tell from your abstract description. Some example URLs would be helpful to understand what you are trying to achieve. For example, why are the links from the "database details" page (to the document) not being followed by the spider? Is it because it goes to a different domain and is considered an external site (as implied by the thread you linked to)? Or is it because it's a PDF file and you're not configured to index PDF files? Are you using Spider Mode or Offline Mode? There are many possibilities.

Look at the "Skip messages" on the "Log" tab to determine why, and see the following FAQs:
    Q. Why are some of my pages being skipped by the indexer?
    Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site

If Zoom indexes a page (which in your description, is a database details page) which then links to the actual document, then Zoom has indexed TWO pages. Either or both pages will be returned in search results, depending on the keyword matched. There will be no association between the two pages besides for the fact that they might have similar keywords, if that is indeed the case, depending on what's on your database details page. You could potentially exclude the database details page from being indexed with a meta robots "noindex" tag, so Zoom would only follow the link to find and index the actual document. I'm not sure if that's what you want.

Again, it'll be much easier to give a practical answer if you can show us the database details pages in question and the documents, and describe exactly what you wish to see when you search for a certain keyword.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X