Altering URLs found in Help&Manual webhelp as part of larger Zoom index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altering URLs found in Help&Manual webhelp as part of larger Zoom index

I see that there is a way to integrate a Zoom Index as part of a Help&Manual webhelp, but that's not what I want to do. I want to index my whole website, that includes the webhelp in subdirectories (with links into it on some of the main pages).

The problem is that the URLs that get picked up for the webhelp pages are things like http://www.software4nonprofits.com/D...k_versions.htm. If you click through to that, you get the page contents, but not the Table of Contents, Keyword Index and Search tabs that you should see at the left hand side of the online help pages. The correct URL to see all that is http://www.software4nonprofits.com/D...k_versions.htm.

Is there a way to cause the indexer to hack the URLs it finds within that DonationManual folder (and a similar 2nd folder for 2nd webhelp we upload) to add the "index.html?" part?

A lot will depend on which version of H&M you are using and which HTML output template. Also on how your website is structured and where you are opening the search results.

I would suspect that if you opened the search result in a new window you would find that the page would correctly reframe itself with its table of contents, etc. Currently you are possible loading the search result inside an existing set of frames, which code in the H&M page detects (falsely) as it being already correctly framed and so not needing to reframe itself.

I had this problem a long time ago with H&M v4 and had to alter some of their javascript code to identify when this was occuring and reframe the page even when it was inside a parent site frame.

H&M v7 includes HTML output that work different, each topic page includes code for the table of contents/search/index without having to reload/reframe itself.

As you can probably tell from my answer, I think your options are very much on the H&M side. Having ZoomSearch change the URLs would force it to them distinguish between whether the page being indexed is from H&M output or not which isn't possible (AFAIK) unless you can be absolutely sure that the only pages you want your search to ever index are all H&M HTML output pages.
    Mark Gallagher

Comment

I agree with sizbut above. It would be better to make sure this is the best way to achieve what you're after. But if there is only one folder where you want the following to apply:

Originally posted by DanCooperstock View Post
      Is there a way to cause the indexer to hack the URLs it finds within that DonationManual folder (and a similar 2nd folder for 2nd webhelp we upload) to add the "index.html?" part?
      There is the "Rewrite Links" option under "Configure"->"Indexing options" which allow you to find and replace a part of the URL.

If you specify the following:

Find in URL: /DonationManual/
      Replace with: /DonationManual/index.html?

You will achieve what you describe. But note there's only one such search and replace rule in Zoom, so you can't do this for multiple folders.

--Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Fortunately the excellent Help & Manual support forum has a long memory and let me search on my own posts. Here is the summary of what I had to do with H&M V4 HTML output in order to allow it to reframe itself when an individual page was loaded into an existing set of frames: https://helpman.it-authoring.com/vie...php?f=1&t=6952

Obvious caveat being that was Help & Manual V4 - their default code in other versions may differ.
        Last edited by sizbut; Aug-11-2017, 12:24 PM.
        Mark Gallagher

Comment

Working...
        X