Highlight.js and RoboHelp DHTML drop-downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlight.js and RoboHelp DHTML drop-downs

I implemented your highlight.js code to provide highlighting in search results but found that in my topics it caused a problem with the DHTML drop-downs.

I tried both the onload and outside body method of calling the highlight function, but both of these caused the same problem. Although I should say that RoboHelp 7 moves any script that you put after </body> back into the body when you save the changes, and I don't know if this is part of the problem too.

In the generated webhelp, when you open a topic from the TOC the drop-downs work fine. However, if you open the same topic from the Zoom search results, then the drop-downs will not expand. I assume that there's some issue with the RH drop-down JavaScript and the Zoom highlight JavaScript. So I posted a question on the RoboHelp forum, but the only reply suggests that I ask you.

I don't know much about JavaScript or HTML, so have found your documentation really helpful. However, it does mean that after trying your suggestions I've no other ideas to try. Many thanks for your help so far.

I presume you are using the latest version (V6) and the highlight.js script that comes with that (found in the "extras" folder), rather than the older V5 highlight script. Since the new version of the script, we've had far less people report of conflicts with other Javascripts, so it is worth making sure that you're not using the older version.

Having said that, the issues described here are still valid, and it is impossible to know exactly what other Javascripts may depend on to ensure that it will be universally compatible.

If Robohelp is moving the script tag from outside the body, back within the </body> tag, then it would certainly defeat the point of that method (which was to ensure that the script was only executed AFTER the body content had been parsed completely).

Does the Robohelp drop-down menu also have a function call in the "onload=" body attribute? If so, you would want to try executing the highlighting before it (or after it, again, it really depends on how the dropdowns work).

For example,
    <body onload="highlight(); robohelp_dropdown_init();">

It might also be other issues, such as variable name conflicts. If that's the case, it really requires some debugging by someone who is familiar with Javascript.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am using V6. As far as I can see there is no existing body onload event, although there are lots of Initeffects. My project deadline means that I'll have to leave this for now otherwise our new application will go out in July without a full set of Help files.

Comment

Same issue

Hi, I searched this question before posting it myself and have discovered the exact same problem. I have version 6 of the search engine and using Robohelp X5 (not sure if version matters) but for some reason, jumping from the list of results to the help page disables drop down text. Links work and I have a little javascript titled "Show All" that triggers all the drop downs to show and this works too but clicking on each individual drop down does nothing.

Where can I acquire the v6 of the highlight.js ?

Comment

Click on "Tools"->"Open Extras folder".
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

thanks, I'll give the new script a try and see if it works.

Comment

Working...
            X