Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting "Title" Location in Results Page

Hi there,

First of all I just started using ZOOM and thus far am extremely impressed by it's functionality and ease of use. Great job Wrensoft!! Now I have these few simple questions:

1) Is there any way to adjust the location of the "title" listing? I was thinking to have the thumbnails appear in the results page with their correspoding image codes underneath which are also the titles of the HTML pages indexed. As an example I would like to have my resulting page look just like one of my image galleries, please see here: http://www.photorificstock.com/adventures.htm. I already got my images to display in line.

2) Is there a way to dictate paremeters of the new window when displaying linked result content ie window width, height, position, status, etc.?

3) Lastly when indexing my HTML pages I am receiving 8 warnings "Suspected Invalid HTML: possible unmatched quote characters". What does this mean?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Thanks for the positive feedback.

1.) You can achieve quite a variety of layouts with some clever CSS. Have a look at this previous forum post for an example of how to get a grid of images to display in the search results. In that example, I hid the titles, but you could just as well leave it showing and move its location via CSS positioning. It would be tricky to achieve a table like effect as seen in your example with only CSS, but it should be possible. I'm thinking you might actually have to adjust the width of each .result_block so that it forces the title text to wrap under the image.

2.) Which new window are we talking about? I will presume it is the new window opened when you click on an actual search result (and not a new window containing the list of search results). There's no built-in feature to specify this, no. All of those properties involve the use of JavaScript and we make a policy of minimizing JS usage (there's all sorts of issues with conflicting scripts on pages, etc). You could potentially add this in yourself if you are experienced with scripting (although we should note that we are unable to support user modified search scripts).

3.) This means there are HTML errors on your web page that needs fixing. Mistakes in the HTML source code that mean the page:
    (a) Does not validate as a HTML page
    (b) May have rendering issues on various browsers, and
    (c) May not have been indexed entirely because the bad HTML made the content ambiguous. This could also have affected external search engine spiders such as Google depending on the severity of the dodgy code.

The "possible unmatched quote character" usually means there's a misplaced quote or double quote character somewhere in the HTML source code.

There are HTML validators to point out the mistakes in the code that you can use.

The most complete and definitive HTML validator is the official W3 one here:
    http://validator.w3.org/

This can be a bit daunting for a beginner (you may discover you have thousands of validation errors) and something a little more concise is a validator like this one.

Hope that helps.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X