Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• html search box and onmouseover

hello,
    i'd like to have the mouse pointer change to a hand when it hovers over the search button of the html search box. i tried this with no luck:

<span onmouseover="this.style.cursor= 'hand'"><input type="submit" value="" style="border-style: none; background: url('images/searchbutton2.gif') no-repeat; width: 24px; height: 20px;"></span>

i know this should be simple but i can't get it to work

thanks.

I would think using a hand icon would be counter intuitive (or do you mean the hand with a finger pointer). A hand normally implies the ability to drag or grab the item, not click on it.

Further, most browsers automatically change the pointer when you mouse over a link, or button.

I have never attempted this in Javscript, so I don't know what is wrong with your code.

Comment

Try placing the onmouseover attribute on the actual input tag instead.

In other words:

<input type="submit" value="" style="border-style: none; background: url('images/searchbutton2.gif') no-repeat; width: 24px; height: 20px;" onmouseover="this.style.cursor= 'hand'">
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray. I then found that this doesn't work in Firefox so changed 'hand' to 'pointer' (as per W3C standard) and it works in both IE and Firefox.

<input type="submit" value="" style="border-style: none; background: url('images/searchbutton2.gif') no-repeat; width: 24px; height: 20px;" onmouseover="this.style.cursor= 'pointer'">

Comment

Working...
        X