Template editing - template won't upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Template editing - template won't upload

Hello folks... newbie question: I've been using Zoom 6 successfully for a while now, but when I try to edit the results template, strange things happen.
    I have it set to upload automatically after indexing, and after editing the template the upload window hangs on 'queueing files for upload' (never got this message before). Closing that window and uploading from Tools>FTP... works, but the results page is blank apart from my edited text (= no results).
    I understand that the Word file can be temperamental, and I've reinstalled Zoom twice to try to put things straight. It works fine for me until I try to edit the template, then the same thing happens.

Are there restrictions on what goes in the template? ( I only put the site name above and one line of text below the default text).

I have Jump to Match set, which works well & I'm generally very happy with the product - but how can I sort this problem?
    (Apologies in advance if I'm missing something very obvious!)

Thanks, Gordon

I understand that the Word file can be temperamental...
    Errr, what Word file? The template file is a HTML file. Word would be a very poor choice of tool to edit this file with, if that is what you are doing.

Your issue is an FTP issue. Nothing directly to do with the template.

My guess would be that you need to passive mode (PASV) in the Zoom FTP configuration window.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Sorry to be vague... when I click on 'Modify template', it's an html file that opens for editing in Word. Should it open in something else? Can it be opened in a proper text editor?

Haven't tried PASV yet, as I need to reinstall to get the template back to default (can't seem to successfully edit it back to default).

Thanks

Comment

Once a HTML is opened and saved from Word, then it will never be the same again.

It would be better to use Dreamweaver, a text editor (e.g. UltraEdit), MS Expression, or just about any HTML editor in preference to using Word to edit HTML files.

Comment

Microsoft Word is a terrible HTML editor. Especially earlier versions, which were just plain broken and failed to create a HTML file that could be viewed in IE.

When you select "Modify template" in Zoom, it will ask Windows to open the file in the default editor for HTML files, as specified on your computer. Older versions of Microsoft Word may have "hijacked" this so that they load up in Word (I don't think newer versions do this anymore).

For more information, please see the following FAQs:
          Q. Why is there no search form on my search page?
          Q. My search page is showing up blank and there is strange code in the source of my template page (eg. "<!--[if gte mso 9]>", etc.)
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X