PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to have multiple search forms each restricted to certain directories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to have multiple search forms each restricted to certain directories?

Greetings:

Is it possible with Zoom Search V6 to have multiple search forms on different pages in one web site with each form configured to restrict the search to certain differing directories?

For example, let's say I have a web site that has a number of general information pages, as well as a dozen or so different user guides. Could I have a separate instance of Zoom Search in each of the dozen guides configured to search only the files in that guide/directory and no other files, and another instance of Zoom Search, say on the general info pages, configured to search all files in all directories?

I can't find this covered in the User Manual for Zoom Search. If this is possible, and it is in there, where is this setup covered?

Is there any search engine which will do this? If not, can it be done with multiple separate search engines?

I'm no expert, in fact, I've never configured a search engine before, so please keep it simple

Many thanks.

forthetimebeing

Check out the Categories feature (chapter 2.5 in the Users Guide).

You can create different categories for the various folder groups that you have interest in filtering your searches by.

Then you can create your own search form (as described in this FAQ also see the section under the "Defining a search form for a categories enabled website" heading). Note that you can specify the category as a input type="hidden" parameter on the search form.

This means you can either let the user select the category/folder to search, or hardcode it in as a hidden value that they cannot change, and have it differ on various pages as necessary.

I believe that will do what you want. Let us know if you have further questions.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X