Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocompleter using zoom

Hi,
    Can we Implement auto completer in the search text box using zoom.

Thanks In Advance

See this old post for details.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1814

Comment

Hi,

I read the article, you mentioned above,I would like to ask can we fetch those individual words that stored in the zoom, if yes then how

Comment

Do you mean the words that people are searching for (in the log file), or words that were found during indexing the source pages (in the dictionary file).

Comment

Words that were found during indexing the source pages (in the dictionary file).

Comment

You can find the words found during indexing in the dictionary file.
            zoom_dictionary.zdat

Comment

In the dictionary file found the words like below

abercrombie's 0 1
              Abercrombie's

what does 0 1 stands for??

Comment

You can ignore the numbers, they are internal links to the other files that indicate what pages these words were found on and other data.

Comment

Is there an easy way to extract the word list from the zoom_dictionary file please. I've openned it in notepad and it just looks rather jumbled.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                    Is there an easy way to extract the word list from the zoom_dictionary file please. I've openned it in notepad and it just looks rather jumbled.
                    Or indeed an API that I can use to get at it. i'd like to use the data to power this: http://www.topdreamweaverextensions.com/autocomplete if possible.

Comment

It is not jumbled. It is just somewhat complex.

But I don't think you will be able to make it work with that autocomplete script that you mentioned. Looking at the code for that script would seem to indicate that the list of words to suggest is held in the web page itself (and not on the server).

Zoom typically finds a large amount of words during indexing. Depending on the site it might be between 10,000 and 1,000,000 unique words. If for example you added 100,000 lines of code to your HTML page (as required by this script), then your web page might takes minutes to download, before you can start a search. Which isn't practical.

Unless your site is very small, you really need an AJAX based solution, where the complete word list is keep on the server and not transferred to the client.

We are hoping to implement this type of AJAX solution for the next major release of Zoom.

Comment

I have written an AJAX autocomplete using the ASP.Net server control and the dictionary file but is it possible to get the number of pages each keyword appears on?

Many thanks.

Tim Butcher

Comment

Not easily, no. It would require reading in the binary data stored in the other index files which is of an intricate proprietary format. You could reverse engineer the search script to get at it, but we can't promise the format won't change from version to version (should we find ways to improve it).
                          --Ray
                          Wrensoft Web Software
                          Sydney, Australia
                          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                          X