PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with French accents and other characters, but page encoding *is* set to UTF8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with French accents and other characters, but page encoding *is* set to UTF8

I have my search results page encoding and the indexer set to UTF-8, but I'm still getting garbled characters on my search results output, like this:

http://screencast.com/t/YjNkOThiM2It

In the code, they're coded using entities like "é" etc.

Any ideas?

I can provide access to the site (via username/password) if someone from support is able to take a look?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm presuming that screen capture really is supposed to be 119x42 in dimension (it was a little hard to work out what I was looking at).

Without being able to see the page in question (the actual web page that was indexed), and the search page in question (the page generating the search results), I would suggest checking the following:

- Are you using a wrapping script so that our provided search script (or CGI) is embedded within your script? If this is the case, check the results returned by the original script and see if it exhibits this behaviour.
    - Have you modified the provided search script in any way at all?
    - What platform output are you using (PHP, ASP, CGI, JS)? What version and build is the Indexer?

It would help if we can actually see the pages in question rather than a tiny screenshot like that. But if I was to put on my Sherlock Holmes (or Batman) hat and judge by that clue alone, I would think there's a wrapping script (or your server) is double encoding the UTF-8 output. That is, the original script may have returned UTF-8 output, but something else is taking that and treating the UTF-8 output as ASCII, and encoding it again in UTF-8. But that's just a guess.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray - thanks for your response.

I can email you with access details so you can view the site if that helps?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

I'm using indexer v6.0 build 1021, and using the classic ASP script.

Also, I need to use ASP includes (for my header/footer etc), so am using a separate search page and including the search.asp script.

The charset on the page is utf-8, and I've also selected the UTF-8 option in the indexer.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

You can find our e-mail address on our Contact Us page.

Did you try accessing the plain "search.asp" page, not your wrapper page, and see if the problem occurs there?
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

I tried accessing the plan "search.asp" page, and the problem was still there.

However, I then went to email you a link to a publicly-accessible version of the site, and it seems like the characters are displaying fine - it's just on my development laptop where they appear garbled.

The public site is IIS6 (Win Server 2003), and my laptop is IIS7 (Win 7, 64-bit) - any ideas what could be causing the problem on my dev machine?

I read something about double-encoding, which seems possible, but not sure how to check whether that's the case.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Assuming the search.asp page, and all other files (including your wrapper script) are identical on the two servers, then you may want to take a look at this:
              http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...html#setlocale

Perhaps your servers have different locale settings or are defaulting to something different.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray ---

That worked - fantastic, thanks so much for your help.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X