Old Pages showing up in search??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Pages showing up in search??

Zoom Search Engine Version 6.0 (Build: 1012)

6481 files indexed

This is for a client who has a e-commerce site selling several brands generally with many products within each brand. They stopped caring one of the brands and have deleted all products from the site. I re-indexed the entire site and if I look at sitemap.xml or zoom_pagedata.zdat I do not find reference to the brand at all.

But, if I search using the brand name my results give me 100s of matches all 'old' pages that no longer exist.

Confused... any help would be most appreciated.

You're saying that the sitemap and index files contain no reference to the URL, but these URLs are showing up as actual search result links in the results? This wouldn't really be possible, I would double check you are looking at the correct files (e.g. if you are looking at a set of index files, are these really the ones hosted on the server).

Sometimes people have multiple sets of index files uploaded to their server unknowingly (in different folders), and end up looking/updating one particular set which is not the one that is actually being used by the live search function.

Other things to check:
    - If the pages were actually indexed, then it might be because the spider is indexing from the cache. You can disable the cache via "Configure"->"Spider options"->"Reload all pages (do not use cache)".
    - Are these pages Recommended Links that were manually added?
    - If the site is accessible online, give us the URL to the search page, and some examples of the queries/brands to search for, and which URLs are not supposed to be there, etc. and we can take a closer look.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

If the pages were actually indexed, then it might be because the spider is indexing from the cache. You can disable the cache via "Configure"->"Spider options"->"Reload all pages (do not use cache)".

Thanks Ray... cache was the culprit!

Again, thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X