Exclude parts of the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exclude parts of the site

I just purchased 6.0 10 minutes ago - very cool and easy to set up. It ran just fine the first time using the php option...thanks!

Here's my only issue: I have a menu that is on every page (inserted via php include) and I want to exclude that from searches. Is there an easy/recommended way to do that with filters?

Thanks again.

I just figured it out. I did it using the <!--ZOOMRESTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART--> comments.

While I'm here though, perhaps one more question:

When I search for a term (e.g. motorcycle) it returns two URLs:

www.example.com and www.example.com/index.php, which is essentially the same file.

Is there a way to not return one of the two as a result? Thanks again...awesome product.

Comment

For others reading this, the first question is covered here,
      Q. How do I prevent parts of my webpage from being indexed (eg. exclude navigation menus, or page footers)?

The 2nd question is partially covered here,
      Q. How do I block parts of my website from being indexed (eg. block entire folders or individual files)?

So if your starting indexing on the www.example.com URL, then you would add the www.example.com/index.php to the skip list.

A 2nd option would be to use the CRC checksum option in Zoom to remove duplicate pages.

Comment

Using "<!--ZOOMRESTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART-->" will likely cause you some problems: that is, unexpected results.

<!--ZOOMRESTOP--> is supposed to be <!--ZOOMSTOP-->

Good luck,
        Leon

Comment

Well spotted, Leon.

Yes indeed, make sure you spell those tags correctly or it won't work. Another common mistake we see from time to time is people using <!--ZOOMSTART--> (wrong) instead of <!--ZOOMRESTART--> (correct).

So to recap, the correct tags are:

<!--ZOOMSTOP-->
          ... stuff you want skipped... menus, etc.
          <!--ZOOMRESTART-->
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X