index not working during initial set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• index not working during initial set up

I am a newbie, so please forgive me for my questions if they are dumb. I tried using the set up wizard to get started and when I put in my website URL it comes back saying "Check that the URL exists and satisfies the settings in the configuration window." I confirmed with godaddy that my site is live. I am using Wordpress to design the site and the URL is right. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help? thank you in advance.

Mike

Hi,

Since you posted on the message board and sent email to support, I will reply to the message board post in case someone else is interested in the problem.

Doing a wget on your site, returned a 404 page not found. This is the reason why you're getting the message "Check that the URL exists..." message.

However, as I was further testing indexing your website, it seems that you have created/uploaded an index.html file since. wget has now successfully retrieved your index.html and indexing was working on our end for your site.

If you still have problems, pleast let us know.

Regards,

Richard

Comment

Thank you for your help. I am getting an error. FTP upload error message. The operation timed out. I created a folder "search" in the main root directory, but for some reason when it starts to upload it times out. I can't figure out why this is happening?

Comment

I assume you got past the initial problem related to your site being down, and your site is now up and running.

Did you check the FTP settings. Is the user name and password correct.
        Did you try using PASV mode?
        Is the folder name correct.

We can't tell you exactly what FTP settings to use, as the details will vary from one hosting company to another. But your hosting company should be able to help you find out what your FTP settings are.

Comment

Working...
        X