Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum unique words and files to be indexed

Hi,
    I want to know the exact value for the maximum files to be indexed and the max. unique words.

Sometimes when I put a very large value, such as 1000000, it said N/A or not a reasonable value.
    Kind regards,
    Tsui Jenkin
    President of Hinsmart (hinsmart.com)

The value depends on the site and how much data you wish to index. If there was one magic number that would work for everybody, we wouldn't need it to be configurable.

This is also explained in the text immediately above these fields:

"Note that increasing these limits will increase memory usage. The max files and max unique words limit most significantly affect memory usage."

You can also click on the Help button on that screen for a more thorough explanation.

So I'm not sure what you are asking besides what is already answered on the screen.

There is an "Estimated RAM" given on that same screen, which changes when you change the limits. If your limits increases this RAM usage (RAM is the memory in your computer by the way) to more than what you have available in your computer, then you can't proceed.

I hope that helps you to understand it?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

See also this FAQ on Indexing Enormous Sites.

Comment

Originally posted by hinsmart View Post
        Hi,
        I want to know the exact value for the maximum files to be indexed and the max. unique words.

Sometimes when I put a very large value, such as 1000000, it said N/A or not a reasonable value.
        I'm received this kind of error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 257 bytes) in /srv/www/htdocs/epla/minit/mmk/search_km.php on line 562

But the thing is i've already change memory _limit to 32MB/64MB or even 128MB in php.ini (from default 32MB)..still get the above error message

For your info, i'm using zoom 4.1 and PHP 4.3.4...

and the other problem is i can't change my "max unique words" more than 300,000 or else i''ll get this message "invalid maximum unique words limit"..

I've tried most your suggestions but failed. Should i upgrade my php version???

what should i do??? I would appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks

Comment

See this FAQ,
          Q. "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted..." or similar error message

As stated in the FAQ,
          For some very large sites, the above memory limit of 64 MB may still not be enough. Increase this value as appropriate if you continue to get a similar error message. Newer versions of PHP have a default memory limit of 128 MB.

So 128MB is the starting point in PHP now. Try 256MB, or 512MB. Or switch to the more efficient CGI option, as suggested in the FAQ.

i'm using zoom 4.1
          Do you know you are posting in the V6 forum?
          V4 is very old, you should upgrade.

PHP4 is also very old, from 8 years ago I think, and should be updated for security reasons, if for no other reason.

Comment

If you are getting exactly the same error message after those changes (i.e. the same memory size is reported to be exhausted), then you are not successfully applying your change of the memory limits in PHP.

Note that changing "php.ini" requires the server (either Apache/IIS) or the PHP service to be restarted for it to take effect.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X