Categoryies dropdown instead of checkboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categoryies dropdown instead of checkboxes

Is there a way to make the category breakdown a dropdown list instead of the inline text shown by default? I have about 30 categories; on the initial search, the Categories is in a dropdown. But after you conduct a search, the refinement search categories are shown in a big jumble of words. Is there a way to turn this into a dropdown?

If you uncheck 'Allow searching in multiple categories' in the Zoom configuration window, then you should get a drop down.

Comment

It is unchecked. With it checked, my 30 words have checkboxes next to them; when unchecked, the checkboxes disappear and my words turn into links, which filter the search appropriately.

Functionality is there, but the presentation is off.

Comment

Can you give us a link to the page so we can see what you mean?

The "Refine your search by category: " links are always offered as an unordered list, with no checkboxes next to them. Their layout will depend on the CSS you have for unordered list, and if you have removed the default CSS that comes with the search_template.html file which has this specified:

.zoom_categories ul { display: inline; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;}
        .zoom_categories li { display: inline; margin-left: 15px; list-style-type: none; }
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi, go here: http://service.specialized.com/search/search.html

Search for 'bike'.

(The JS version is currently in use.)

Comment

I think you/we were originally a bit confused between the "Refine..." category breakdown and the actual category searching option in the search form. When you mentioned checkboxes -- that's the main search form -- which toggles between that and the dropdown box (which is currently on your search page on the same line as the From: and To: date ranges .. you can put this on a new line with CSS "clear: left;" attribute).

Where the categories are text links is always part of the "Refine your search" breakdown and this doesn't change with any of the options, unlike what you said before. So this is consistent and I don't think the presentation is off.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

The "Refine your search..." options can be changed from being not in line and being listed down the page by removing the "display: inline;" property in the abovementioned CSS.

However, you can't change this to function as a dropdown box like the main "Categories" dropdown box (which appears just above it).

First of all, this is outside of the <form>...</form> so there's no corresponding Submit button to hit after selecting the dropdown.

Second, it would then function entirely the same as the Categories dropdown which you have right above it.

I guess what you'd really like is for the main Categories dropdown to have the number of results next to their names... but this doesn't make sense either, because the "Refine" option only shows categories that your current search applies to.

If you really find it taking up too much room because you have too many categories, you should probably just disable the feature all together (uncheck "Show category breakdown..." in the Indexer).
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Your explanation makes sense. I was indeed confused.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X