Filenames with Spaces are troublesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filenames with Spaces are troublesome

I have a site that indexes lots of PDF files. Lots of these filenames look like this:

Answer Foo Foo.pdf
    Answer Fee Fee.pdf
    Answer fubar.pdf

With indexing set to include dots are the same word, a search for "answer*.pdf" (without quotes) returns nothing. Neither does "Answer?*.pdf".

If I disable dots and re-index, a search for "answer*.pdf" actually searches for "answer* pdf" (note the missing "dot") and it returns a lot of stuff I don't want. For this site, it is important to be able to search the file names but there are thousands of them, so renaming is not an option.

Help!

Thanks

Are you using offline mode or spider mode?
    Are these files on a web server or a file server?

I think there is a potentially simple solution in V7 of Zoom. It supports the site:" and "url:" search syntax.

So in your case (in V7) this search should do what you want.
    url:.pdf

Comment

I'm in offline mode. From what I can tell, this is my only option really. I have a file server that is just a file server (no web). The only website it runs is for this search index - specifically for searching for files, and also it has directory browsing enabled at the root of the file structure so that when zoom finds a hit, the URL it creates will reference the file on web server so the user can open it.

Comment

I think another possibility is to create a category for your PDF files. This way the user can select from the drop down box "PDF files" and then search for "answer*" and it will be restricted to just the PDF files.

Click under "Configure"->"Categories" and click on the Help button there for more details. The Pattern can be something like ".pdf" for the category.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X