Zoom and I-frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom and I-frame

It is possible to embed Zoom search results page in an i-frame? if so what will be the right code?

Thanks

The following FAQ, Q. How do I make the search results open in a new window (or different frame)?, may be able to provide a starting point.

Comment

Richard Thanks for your reply. I manage to display the search results in the desktop in a page of the website, however i am struggling with the tablet and phone versions to display (the website is adaptive not responsive) I created an entire new template for the search results and it works ok but cannot point it to mobile devices. Am I missing something on the settings? I went through almost all the documentation and no lick so far. site is live at energyaudio.co.za maybe you can take a look. Thanks

I forgot to mention I tried using the "target" function to try to point the results to the page. Is there any other way to achieve this?
      Last edited by Urbansaol; Jul-31-2017, 07:11 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Looks like you've got something up. But a few comments:

1) You have modified "search_template.html" to only have a <!--ZOOM_SHOW_RESULTS--> tag instead of the default <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> tag.

This means you only get results displayed and nothing else. No search form, no summary of the search query, no pagination.

So when you search for something that doesn't exist on your site (e.g. the word "test"), you get a blank page. The summary normally tells you there's zero results found.

And when you have more than 10 results, you can't access them because the pagination is missing.

I suggest putting back in all the elements you need (refer to the chapter in the Users Guide where you found the <!--ZOOM_SHOW_RESULTS--> tag for all the other tags you can use. OR just put back in the <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> tag and get the default layout.

2) The target= function you have configured means your search results will open in a separate browser window. I do not know if this is your desired behaviour.

You can use the target= feature to have it open in the IFRAME, but it should be named the same as your IFRAME.

--Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments,

Following your points:

1. It is right regarding the <!--ZOOM_SHOW_RESULTS--> part I was busy setting up the whole configuration but I came to a halt since I realized that the results are not showing on the mobile version regardless of <!--ZOOM_SHOW_RESULTS--> or <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> and I set up the target function to test if it will call the results directly to the phone version page using absolute paths since the redirection in the main frame didn't work.

I just need the results to get displayed on the mobile version of the site, both tablet and phone (website is adaptive not responsive) once I get that going I set pagination and search refine in general.

I will try some other ways but any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Comment

Sorry, I missed the fact that your problem was specifically on the phone/tablet. I got thrown off track when I did a search for "test" and I got an empty page much like what you described (but as I mentioned, that problem was because of the lack of your other <!--ZOOM_SHOW_* elements that didn't say "No results found for 'test'"). So that was a red herring.

Anyway.

You have a misunderstanding with how the search page works.

"search.php" is the search page.

"search_template.html" is a LAYOUT page that "search.php" uses internally to determine how to present the layout. An end user should never be accessing the "search_template.html" file.

There is no built-in support for an "adaptive" design whereby Zoom changes the layout depending on conditions.

This is what you are trying to do:

Code:
            <link media="only screen and (max-width: 370px)" rel="alternate" href="http://energyaudio.co.za/phone/search_template.html"/>
            <link media="only screen and (max-width: 960px)" rel="alternate" href="http://energyaudio.co.za/tablet/search_template.html"/>
            By having the above lines, you are asking the browser to redirect from "search.php" (the only search script page you have) to two other "search_template.html" layout pages (which are useless on their own). This is why it doesn't work.

The first question is -- does the search page really require multiple versions to suit phone and tablet. It should not be difficult to make your CSS wrap text naturally, if it doesn't already do so by default.

If your layout is intricate enough to warrant multiple versions per device, then you will need to have not just multiple versions of the same page -- but multiple copies of the search index. This means under the "/phone/" folder, you would have a second copy of

/phone/search.php
            /phone/settings.php
            /phone/search_template.html (with your layout design for phones)
            /phone/zoom_dictionary.zdat
            /phone/zoom_wordmap.zdat
            /phone/zoom_*.zdat (all the other .zdat files)

And likewise under the "tablet" folder.

And each time you re-index with changes, you need to make sure all 3 copies (/search/, /phone/, /tablet/) are updated.

Then your <link> tag above would point to "/phone/search.php" and "/tablet/search.php" correspondingly.

NB. Given that /phone/ is actually a secondary version of the root folder of the website, i.e.
            /phone/amplifiers.html
            is a mobile version of:
            /amplifiers.html

Then it should follow that the search pages really belong in /phone/search/, i.e.
            /phone/search/search.php
            /phone/search/search_template.html
            ... and so forth.

On further testing, I can see a whole bunch of problems with this approach already in that certain pages of the site are missing for /phone/ but not for /tablet/ etc. It seems very difficult to maintain 3 versions of every web page on your site.

Unless you expect the site to stay completely static (no new products etc.) and you won't need to revise your 3 search indexes, then it could be OK.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X