PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google fonts and Suspected invalid HTML (possible unmatched quote characters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google fonts and Suspected invalid HTML (possible unmatched quote characters)

Recently, I have been receiving a huge number of Warnings in my indexing log--over 17-thousand instances of "Suspected invalid HTML (possible unmatched quote characters)." However, none of these pages actually has such an error. I tracked the problem down to this code:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Alef|Anton|Lora|Open+Sans:300,400,600,7 00,800" />

Apparently Zoomsearch is seeing the "|" character in the href as an error.
    My site has over 17-thousand .html pages that include this or similar code.

Having so many erroneous warnings in the log makes the log pretty useless to me. Also, due to the large number of errors, the program seems unable to display details of the log in the program. I am using Windows 10 with 16GB RAM and a fast SSD drive.

Also, I am not certain that these pages are being indexed correctly.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Or any workarounds?

Well, the pipe "|" character is an illegal character in a URL and should be percent-encoded. So technically the warning in correct.

But I didn't think Zoom was worried about a pipe character. Maybe there was also some other issue on the page. What was the URL for the full page so we can take a look?

Comment

I also get a bunch of these warnings:

"Suspected invalid HTML (possible unmatched quote characters) after line XX on page: https://XXXXXXXXXXXX (content may not be correctly indexed)" when indexing our Intranet site.

I looked at the code and I can't find anything wrong with it.

Comment

What was the URL for the full page so we can take a look?

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
          What was the URL for the full page so we can take a look?
          This is our Intranet site. Can I make zip file with those web pages and send you PM with download link?

Comment

Yes, you can EMail us a Zip file.

Comment

An example page exhibiting this problem was sent in by a customer, but we couldn't find anything wrong with the page in question. So we think it must be a bug. We must have broken something in the last couple of releases and not noticed.

We narrowed it down. Some absolute links like this cause the warning.
              <a href="http://test.html">test</a>
              While relative links don't.
              <a href="/test.html">test</a>

We take a deeper look at the code and get it fixed for the next patch release, V7.1 build 1021 . In the meantime, just ignore the warnings.

Comment

Working...
              X