Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score Cap for very frequent occurrences of a term

Dear Zoom-Community,

In my current project, I am using the Zoom Indexer to index a bunch of offline HTML files. The resulting index is analyzed and searched by a own custom search engine (javascript).
    When the index is built, a certain term gets a certain score for each page, dependent on its occurrence count on the page and its configured boost factor.

Is there any possibility to set a limit for the occurrence count?
    My customer wants to have a lower score for terms in the body content, that occur 50+ times on a page. He thinks that over-ranks other results, where the corresponding term maybe 15 times in the content, but also in the title or in subheadings.

Apparently the content density setting is not enough of a proper solution...

Any suggestions are appreciated very much - even if there are some undocumented debug flags, that help me out.
    Thank you!

I presume you mean you are using your own customized version of the search.js script?

There's no built-in support for capping the score, and we don't provide support for script customizations.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yes, that's true.

I understand that you can't provide support for customizations, that's why I am just asking if there is something we can tweak in the still (original indexing) engine.+
      Or can you maybe think of other solutions having a similar effect?

Thank You,
      Daniel

Comment

Can you just adjust the settings in the Word Weighting configuration configuration window?
        Boot the page title and other meta data?

Comment

We are now trying to boost title twice (inserting the title also in the description meta tag)

The problem is just that our customer has pages he thinks are not that relevant as search result, although the search term appears very often in the content there.
          Maybe thats also kind of a content problem.

But maybe either a score cap or extended values for the weighings (higher than +5) would be a good proposal as feature request for future versions.

Kind regards
          Daniel

Comment

Might help:
            If it is a fixed part of the page that isn't consider relevant (e.g. navigation links) then you can remove that part of the page from the indexing process. See,
            https://www.zoomsearchengine.com/zoo....html#zoomstop

Comment

Might have helped - but unfortunately my content falls out of a CMS which is not able to write HTML comments...

Comment

Working...
              X