Upgrade v6 - v7 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade v6 - v7 issues

I have just upgraded from v6 to the latest v7. The first issue was that when I imported my configuration file it did not migrate all the settings and it took a while to get all the search parameters to what they should be, such as file sizes and files to index. The warnings and errors were huge.

I have kept my v6 working on the web site for now in /cgi-bin/search/ and put the v7 files in /cgi-bin/search2/. I am using the same search template, but when I use the template in v7 I get this at the top of the search result:

No such file or directory. Log filename and path not found (/home/club/public_html/log/searchwords.log). Check that you specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings
    That path is correct and the file exists and updates when I do a search and is 777.

The issue of the huge number of errors and warning is baffling as they refer to 'file not found' and quote a path that is incorrect even though the file exists elsewhere, but no broken links are reported.

Thanks for any help.

Bob
    Robert Isaac
    Volvo Owners Club

Originally posted by firstrebel View Post
    I have just upgraded from v6 to the latest v7. The first issue was that when I imported my configuration file it did not migrate all the settings and it took a while to get all the search parameters to what they should be, such as file sizes and files to index. The warnings and errors were huge.
    This is quite rare. Most of the settings should have ported over correctly, certainly file sizes shouldn't be a problem.

I wonder if you might have loaded in the wrong copy of your configuration file. Sometimes people mistake one "zoom.zcfg" file for another in a different folder. When you start V6, click on the "Log" tab and make sure to have "Initialization" messages checked. There should be a message like "Config file loaded: C:\myfiles\zoom.zcfg" which would tell you which configuration file is currently being used.

Note that Zoom remembers the location of the last .zcfg file used. So if you have made a copy in a different folder from the original location, it would be using that from then on.

I have kept my v6 working on the web site for now in /cgi-bin/search/ and put the v7 files in /cgi-bin/search2/.
    With CGI, the folder locations can make a big difference. Certain access and privileges may have been previously configured and granted for the /cgi-bin/search/ folder that is not allowed for the /cgi-bin/search2/ folder. So that could be another problem.

That path is correct and the file exists and updates when I do a search and is 777.
    I don't think it is. Otherwise if it had 777 permission, I would expect* it to be accessible from this URL:
    https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/log/searchwords.log

My guess is that's not the log path being used in your v6 configuration. Check this by loading up v6 Zoom and clicking on "Configure"->"Advanced" and see what is the Log filename specified.

*There's some other scenarios that might make this not the case. E.g. htaccess files that block the path/file.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I only have 7.1 running but the path is correct. See also attachment for the permissions on searchwords.log.

Bob
      Attached Files
      Robert Isaac
      Volvo Owners Club

Comment

No message
        Last edited by firstrebel; Oct-25-2018, 06:22 PM.
        Robert Isaac
        Volvo Owners Club

Comment

I only have 7.1 running but the path is correct. See also attachment for the permissions on searchwords.log.
          I presume you mean you only have the V7.1 indexer installed, so you can't check which .zcfg file was being used with your V6 indexer. We will presume it is the same one, unless you can find another .zcfg file on your hard drive in other folders.

In any case, email us a copy of the .zcfg file(s) you find and we can take a look.

As to why the V7 CGI (running in /cgi-bin/search2/) is not able to access the searchwords.log file, when the V6 CGI (running in /cgi-bin/search/) still can -- it would be best if you can zip up these two sets of index files (make sure to include settings.zdat) and email them to us to examine if there's any crucial configuration difference.

Also what I noted before -- CGI can be greatly affected when run in different folders. Your "/cgi-bin/search" folder may have different privileges than "/cgi-bin/search2/" in the way of server configurations.

I did a quick look at your previous posts and you mentioned having .htaccess files in your folder that are crucial to your setup. Perhaps you need to check that. There could be .htaccess files within the search folder, or it could be one at a folder level higher up that is affecting it.

One way to test this is to back up your V6 index (make sure you've backed up ALL the necessary files) and actually replace the files in the same folder with the V7 index (again, crucial you have all the new files and don't mix and match files from the 2 indexes).
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks. We have a managed server and I have discussed this with the support team who have run some tests. They can see no reason for /cgi-bin/search/ and /cgi-bin/search2/ being an issue because the path to the log file is the same from both.

They have found that using and absolute path to the log file does not work and it only works with a relevant path. Is this a bug in Zoom or is it something to do with the server config?

The reason using the URL to the log file returns a 403 is because log files are blocked by the firewall as a security precaution. They could release it for this log file as there is no sensitive data but I will make do with downloading the file as and when I need to.
            Robert Isaac
            Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Working...
            X