• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French accents

Hi,

Regarding the accents, I followed the instructions from this page

https://www.zoomsearchengine.com/zoo...languages.html

So I went to my page, I can see some accents and some don't display properly.

Why?

Please help.

Likely a character set issue. Are your web pages UTF-8 and did you select UTF-8 in Zoom?

Comment

I put UTF-8 in search.aspx and in Zoom application.

In attachment you will see on the left side the search result.
      On the right side, it will be the setting in language in Zoom that I used.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

Comment

Can you clarify if you are using the ASP.NET Server Control, or if you are using an ASPX Wrapper page for the CGI

In the latter case, it is possible your wrapping code is re-encoding the UTF-8 (double encoding). Show us the wrapping code.

In either case, you should check the Web Page Globalization settings for ASP.NET. It can be quite confusing -- sometimes it makes sense to specify the encoding. Other times, by specifying the UTF-8 encoding, you are asking ASP.NET to re-encode the output (such as that from the CGI) and it is encoding content that is ALREADY in UTF-8 again. Usually a bit of experimentation will reveal what the problem is.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi,

I'm using ASP.NET Server Control.
          I tried Web Page Globalization settings and it did not work.

I uploaded 2 files in attachment.

search.aspx.txt: content of the search result.

hp_line_idx.htm.txt: The content after clicking on a link in the search result

zoom.png: A portion of the search result with missing accents.

Attached Files

Comment

The file "hp_line_idx.htm" is NOT encoded in UTF-8. It is encoded in iso-8859-1.

Furthermore, on the 3rd line of the HTML source code, it has the following:

Code:
            <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; [B]charset =iso-8859-1[/B]">
            Normally, Zoom would decode from the internally specified encoding (i.e. iso-8859-1) and encode this according to your configuration (UTF-8 ). However, the HTML meta tag above has broken syntax by way of an extra space character after "charset".

Try fixing the HTML (remove the space character so that it reads charset=iso-8859-1) and reindexing and see if this helps. Make sure to use "reload all pages (do not use cache)" if you are indexing in spider mode.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I did what you have suggested and still no luck.

I just found out in my html file when I replaced the "é" with "&eacute;" the search result displayed properly.
              But the problem is, I have thousands of html files and I can't replace them all.

Also, in the past, I used ASP classic and the search displayed properly.

Comment

Working...
              X