Feature Request regarding "Max. description limit"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request regarding "Max. description limit"

I would like to see in the next updates the "Max. description limit" to be up to 15000.

Regards,

Danx

Why?
    Each search result would be as large as a small novel?

Comment

There is a requirement, to use subtitles for a search and to display full text as a result. Generally, I also questioned the sense, but if your docs are that large that a sum of subtitles amounts up to 11000 characters (15000 for not asking again for an increase, the case is predictable), then it makes sence. Subtitles are very descriptive in this case though...

Since the limitiation is a matter of changing a number in your code (I assume that) I regard it as feasible to be offered. It cannot affect me negatively because I can always set a limit.

Generating such .desc files and/or metadata and integrating the metadata into the original html file is a hard job, which potentiates with the size and amount of files. I have experienced that many recent days.

The result is I have a one search page (search metadata description (subtitles&title) + full text) and only one index to maintain.

Of course for achievemnt of this goal, an another conceptual approach would be much more convinient and performant (probably you came up already earlier once to that), but I am unpretentious now to ask for another feature request.

This feature - character limit increasement would allow me a workaround - with the semi-automatic generation of the meta data description.

Of course, I would be glad to be instructed to a better solution if you know it. (The nearest I know is one index/search page using ZOOMSTOPs for (sub)titles and one index/search page for a full-text search. Maybe one day it may cristalize as a better solution for some (workload for html files maintainance) reason, but for now... to many search pages/indexes...)

TIA and regards,

Danx

Comment

Can you define exactly what "subtitles" and "full text" refers to in the context of a HTML document.

How large are these HTML files? I assume they are all HTML files?

For example is subtitles, everything in a <h2> HTML tag?

Comment

Subtitles or subhedings in html code look like <p class=subheading(1->. All around is some other code like <p class=text(1-n)>, <p class=issueyearpage>, etc . I do not use the <H(n)> tags... all the code is marked in a descriptive manner. Very XML-like. Derived from Indesign cs3-rtf-to Html. (soon probably cs4-->html). (BTW, soon I will examine to see how xml can improve my work, for now I am xml illiterate. If you have some time, feel VERY wellcome to mention how it can contribute to me).

Some files are up to 3 Mb of a clean&penible marked html code, and subheadings as said up to 11000 chars. All is html.
          Since I made the .desc files (hard work) containing descritpion (all subheadings) and other meta tags, I found out that these are useless because of 2000 chars limit. Both, for PDF and for HTML.

If the increase is not possible, I have to look (from my nower knowledge) for another less nice solution.

Comment

The data formatting you describe above is not any established standard.

Changing the Max Description Limit would not help this in any way. That limit only applies to data from the meta description tag (and the meta ZOOMDESCRIPTION tag).

Data within the <p> tags are considered to be part of the page body, regardless of how you name the classes. "subheading1" has as much meaning as "banana2". Human readable class descriptions are not useful unless they follow some sort of established standard that can apply to more than one website. Otherwise, what you would require is a custom coded search engine specifically for your website, and that'd involve the cost of all those months of exclusive development. You're unlikely to find support for that in an off the shelf product.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Somehow we do not understand each other. I have a feeling I write much to much. I asked myself alredy before how you make it to read&answer so many questions in the forum and develop at the same time. It is my mistake I have not posted you a question with as few words as possible.

" ...That limit only applies to data from the meta description tag (and the meta ZOOMDESCRIPTION tag)."

That is true, of course and I never said anything else. My meta data description content for some 18% of my files is much larger then 2000 characters.

"Changing the Max Description Limit would not help this in any way..."

So believe me, of course the limit increasement would help me and many other people who have the same reguirement for their site. Much more, it would solve a production problem.

You are right about "bananas", no usefulness, etablished standards and the needed custom development. But that is the other topic, I introduced mistakefully as an interposed question. Let us concentrate only on meta data description.

Could you please increase the "Max. description limit" to be up to 15000 in one of your next updates if it is not a big problem (affecting somehow the rest of your code).

TIA and regards,

Danx

PS. Of course I can use the <H(n)> tag for all my subheading(n) http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/_H35n.html .
              I can make all my Html code stanadard conform, but I will still have a problem with the "Max. description limit".

Comment

As with everything, there is always a compromise to add something. Increasing limits affect optimization methods that are in place. That is why, for any unusual feature request, we make a point of trying to understand the usage and the practical benefits to be gained, so that we can determine whether the compromise is worthwhile as an improvement in the product.

In the above thread, you did not give us a good reason to increase the number to an arbitary limit that suit you and nobody else. It is just as likely that next week, someone else will come along and require 15001 characters. Or 20000. And again, such a massively long description serves to impair the use of the search results rather than help it and you have not given us a good reason otherwise besides "believe me, ... the limit increasement would help me". We don't doubt that it will help you, at this moment, to address what you believe your current requirements are, but we don't think there is anything to be gained for anybody else, or a few weeks down the track when you (or your client) decides that the descriptions are too long afterall.

If you need custom tailored solutions to your needs, you would need to be prepared to pay for custom development, which again, is far more expensive than an off the shelf product. I hope you understand that we cannot make changes just to suit one customer's demand, especially when that demand is unjustified.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                X